Thursday 19 April 2012

1. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

When creating my my media product I realised I must use conventions from real music magazines such as a conventional layout schemes although I did perhaps challenge layout conventions for my contents page. However I made sure the layout of my front page and double page spread used conventions from real music magazines such as the style of my logo, fonts, and positioning of seperate images. Stephen Neale stated "Genre is repetition and difference." I used this quote when researching music magazine which focuses on the same genre as my own product.













Kizoa slideshow: bazz - Slideshow





I also used conventions from exisiting products by the use of my main image. I used the image of my singer in the centre of the page as I found this a typical convention of real products as this attracts the audience to the magazine. I also made sure my model was effective in terms of her body language as I found it is a typical convention of real products for the model to display an attitude and ego.






Furthermore I also used conventions by using a quote from the singer to display her attitude and ego even more. I also used her name in bold and a different font colour to the quote to draw my audience in to the main singer. I found these conventions from NME magazine as this concentrates on the same genre of music as my own product.








The slideshow below shows I developed conventions of real music magazines in terms of layout features in my double page spread and contents page.







I also used and developed conventions by using a subscription advertisement on my contents page. I found this consistently used in real music magazines in order to tie readers into buying the magazine long term. As i also decided my magazine will be a weekly edition I realised this is a effective feature to use on my contents page. However I perhaps developed this convention by using more than two colours in order to make my conetents page more attractive.




Furthermore I used conventions from real music magazines by using competitions throught my product. I found many music magazines display competetions not only for music but for products that realte to the genre of music. This is why I used a competition for TopMan as I realised most of my audience who have an interest in Indie music shop at TopMan. This will create realtionships with my audience and will also make them even more interested in my magazine.






Another feature I used that uses conventions from real media products is the use of shapes on my front page. I used a circular shape by using tools in photoshop and also used a red background with black and white text to fit with the house style of my magazine. I developed conventions as I realised magazines generally used competitions within shapes, I therefore used a similar technique by drawing readers in to more information within the magazine to win a product.




I also perhaps challenged conventions as I used a female model with lots of attitude suibtable for female rock fans. This goes against a conventional feminist view which states men are portrayes as much more powerful than Woman within the media.

No comments:

Post a Comment